Here are some tips for managing challenging conversations:
- Sort fact from assumptions.
- Ask yourself "What am I telling myself about these facts?"
- Empathize. Ask yourself "What might the other person be feeling and how does that make sense?" "What am I responsible for in all this?"
- Manage your reactions - breathe deeply, count to ten. You may need to walk away for a few minutes to calm down before re-commencing the conversation.
- Run your assumptions/facts and statements by someone else before re-commencing the conversation to check for unintentional bias.
- Ask for help - a coach or mentor.
- Let me know how you go.